Friday, December 21, 2007

"Gift Baskets Are Welcome"

I don't have any pictures (which Jay will appreciate)...but Jay survived ACL surgery yesterday. It wasn't a pretty recovery, but he is home resting now, beginning the long road to healing up that knee...

I really don't know what I expected, but since Jay had so gracefully recovered from his tonsillectomy last year, I was expecting a couple hour recovery at the hospital and then I could take him home. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I showed up at 2:00 p.m. in the post-op recovery room to find him slumped over in a recliner, head in his hands, eyes shut. This is how he would remain for most of the rest of the evening - dizzy and light-headed at the slightest of movements or from even talking followed by nausea and (at least for the first few hours) puking. Apparently morphine and/or the anesthesia did not agree with him. We did not plan on staying the night but there was no way I was taking him home in that condition! So we spent a romantic night at the hospital together.

Top quotes of the night included:
4. "It's just a damn cracker." (Jay talking to his stomach because he would start hiccuping and feeling like he'd puke every time he'd try to eat even one cracker).
3. "Tell them gift baskets are welcome." (Whenever I would text someone we know about his condition and that he was staying overnight in the hospital).
2. "When's the last time you and I were awake at 3:00 a.m.?" (After watching one of several episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air last night).
1. "Is this a Class A basketball game?" (After I told him the score of the Duke/Pitt b-ball game about halfway through the 2nd half). (Keep in mind I went to a Class A school and am a Duke fan) .

He started feeling a little better in the middle of the night - I believe he ate what he described as a "delicious" hot ham and cheese sandwich at about 2:30 a.m. This morning was even better. He got released shortly before lunchtime today and is currently at home resting with the beagles.

It wasn't fun but he was a trooper through the ordeal. The physician's assistant said the operation on the knee itself went really well. Jay will go for his post-op visit on Dec. 31 and then will start physical therapy. In the meantime, I will happily be his chauffeur around town.

In other news, we have officially paid off our lot! Now, let the house planning begin!!

We head to GU tomorrow for the Gerving Christmas celebration. Looks like God is gracing us with a white Christmas as it is lightly snowing as a type this. We wish everyone safe travels and a Merry Christmas!

No comments: