Monday, August 11, 2008

Last week & weekend happenings..

Just a post (minus pictures) about last week and this weekend's happenings....

Thursday after softball, my teammate and friend Morgan brought her annual Alaskan feast for us to enjoy after the games in the parking lot. Morgan teaches in White Mountain, Alaska during the school year and brings an "interesting" array of food from Alaska for us to sample on her last night of league each year (she left to return to Alaska on Saturday). This is the menu we got to sample this year:
1. Whale blubber (there is an Eskimo name for this, but either way you say it, I tried to eat this but ended up spitting it out - it had the texture & consistency of a rubber bouncy ball).

2. Seal Jerky (a little dry, I spit this out as well)

3. Whale stir fry and seal stir fry (I managed to eat and somewhat enjoy the whale stir fry - didn't try the seal stir fry)

4. Boiled Whale - actually tasted a bit like the caribou she brought last year - not too bad!

5. Smoked Salmon - ok, whew...getting away from the crazier foods.

6. Garlic Salmon - absolutely delicious!!

7. Trout - pretty good as well!

8. King Crab Legs - these make it all worth it! I was a mess of crab legs and butter after eating the crab legs. They are no skimpy crab legs either! (And yes, we ARE that fancy of a team that while other teams eat hot dogs after games, there we sit, albeit once/year, enjoying king crab legs in a softball parking lot!)

Other people also pitched in with other, more "regular" types of food. I had to be adventurous and try some of everything. I think I MUST get that tendency from my Dad! :)

Friday after work Jay & I headed to GU for a night golf tourney that is put on by Janell Hellman, Lyndsey & Val G. (among others) and benefits their Relay for Life team (American Cancer Society). Last year was the first year they put it on and we have participated both years. It really is fun (I think I'm a better golfer in the dark than in the light) and of course for a great cause! If anyone is interested in participating next year, I will get the info out to you beforehand. It is well worth the trip!

Saturday morning we chilled out in GU with the Gervings until after lunch and then cruised back to Bismarck. It was a rainy day....I spent the afternoon with my mom and Aunt Barb planning and shopping for my parents' 40th anniversary party, which is coming up on Aug. 23rd. I think we have things pretty much under control - I guess we will see!!

Saturday night Jay and I stayed in and watched the Olympics most of the night. Sunday we started in one corner of the trailer starting to get things boxed up and cleaned up a bit. Soon, we will have to get the trailer on the market to get it sold. The whole moving thing is sneaking up on us fast! We are almost at the end of the decision-making process with just about everything for the house. Today we had to meet the builder and his wife to go over paint colors. We will probably be ordering flooring, tile, light fixtures, plumbing fixture and exterior rock this week. Our cabinet guys are getting started this week too building all the cabinets, mirrors, fireplace mantle, etc.

This weekend we are looking forward to Val W's 30th birthday party Saturday evening!

Other things I look forward to this week are getting to see Ryan & Raumi's new house tomorrow evening and getting more things in the trailer put in boxes & getting it cleaned/organized even more!

That's all for now! Have a great week everyone!

No comments: