Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's In A Name?

We have had people ask us where we got the name Maddux or why we decided on Maddux for a name...

When we started talking about names (after we found out we were having a boy, back in January), I had brought up Maddux - I liked it for a couple reasons right away. It grew on Jay.

First of all, we just liked the name in general. The name Maddux comes from "Maddox" or "Maddock" which is a Welsh name meaning "good; generous." So, the name has a good meaning as well.

The reason we chose the spelling we did was because of the pitcher Greg Maddux, who played for each of our favorite baseball teams - the Braves (my favorite team) and the Cubs (Jay's favorite team). So, it just seemed "right."

As for the middle name "John" - both Jay's dad's and my dad's middle names are John - so he shares a middle name with both of his Papa's! It also gave him the same initials as Papa Mike and his cousin, Mason. And, most importantly to Jay - John Elway. In fact, that is what "sold" Jay on my idea of John for a middle name - as we were driving up to Grand Forks for my Grandpa's 100th birthday party in May - that's how it was decided - because I brought up John Elway!!

Some people like the name, and I'm sure some don't - but after getting to know him these past 8 weeks since he was born, I can't imagine him being named anything else than Maddux John! :)

By the way- Maddux's "stats" at 8 weeks are:

Length: 25 inches
Weight: 15 lbs 1 oz

(So, he's slowed down a bit in the weight department and picked up another 3/4" from last week in length!)

Have a great rest of the week everyone and try to stay cool in this crazy heat!!

No comments: